Back in September, we attended the FutureM and INBOUND Conferences in Boston. As you might expect at an event called “Future of Marketing,” we spent a lot of time talking about, well, the future of marketing.
We had a chance to interview some of the top thinkers driving innovation and transformation in the marketing world, and get their perspective on the Big Question:what IS the future of marketing?
Who is Mitch Joel?
- A marketer; he is president of Twist Image, a digital marketing agency
- A founding partner of Distort Entertainment, a Canadian independent record label
- An author; his most recent book is ‘CTRL ALT Delete.’ He has also authored another book called, ‘Six Pixels of Separation’
- You can find him on Twitter here.
In this conversation, Mitch discusses where he sees the future of marketing. He particularly views these areas as something to keep an eye on:
- We are entering the age of efficiency. People are becoming more efficient with their technology, which in turn is going to force marketers to be more efficient in the way they communicate with consumers.
- It’s time to stop shouting at the masses. You can have a direct audience with any customer you want.
- The most amazing untapped opportunity is to create Youtility. which is the idea of being useful to customers above all versus trying to sell them anything.
- You can’t import traditional metrics to new marketing channels.
- Thanks to platforms like Snapchat and What’s App, the idea of impermanent experiences are coming back to the forefront.
Keep in Touch
Want fresh perspective on communications trends & strategy? Sign up for the SHIFT/ahead newsletter.