Have you been searching for a way to make your dreadfully long commute more productive – or even (dare I say it!) enjoyable? Look no further, as we’ve done a deep dive into the world of podcasts to find a plethora of options relevant to the many aspects of PR.
As I’m sure you’re aware, podcasts have quietly become mainstream over the last few years, likely due to the pre-loaded and easy-to-use iPhone app and the fact that many are now streaming on Spotify. In fact, 48 million Americans how listen to podcasts weekly – and there are currently over 525,000 active shows available!
Living in Boston I tend to spend a lot of time behind the wheel, and after getting sick of my go-to music playlists, I started taking advantage of the many podcasts at my fingertips. Although I admittedly also listen to podcasts that are of personal interest to me (I’m a diehard Murderino), I’ve also started setting aside time each week to listen to podcasts that can help me grow professionally.
With that in mind, below you’ll find 7 podcasts that are perfect for any communications professional looking to up their game in the new year:
Looking to keep your finger on the PR industry’s pulse? Try listening to: The Talking Points Podcast
- About: This podcast is perfect for getting a quick refresh on important communications, marketing, public relations and social media news. Hosts Arik Hanson and Kevin Hunt provide their expert insights and recap hot trending topics, while also featuring interviews with other industry experts.
Need to boost your creativity? Try listening to: 99% Invisible
- About: Ever wonder how inflatable men came to be regular fixtures in used car lots? Curious about the origin of the fortune cookie? Want to know why Sigmund Freud opted for a couch over an armchair? This podcast is about all the thought that goes into the things we don’t think about – the unnoticed architecture and design that shape our world (source).
Looking for some career inspiration? Try listening to: The Goal Digger
- About: Host Jenna Kutcher provides listeners with a variety of productivity tips, social media strategies, business hacks and inspirational stories that can help you design your dream career. This includes her own tangible tips and hacks that she used to become a self-made millionaire as well as interviews with other successful women, who all share secrets to ensure you are seen and heard in your professional career.
Want to be a better leader? Try listening to: What Great Bosses Know
- About: Although this channel hasn’t been updated since 2014, all of host Jill Geisler’s content is still incredibly relevant for current and future leaders. The podcast focuses on practical leadership lessons for managers who want to be great bosses, and trust us – Jill knows her stuff! For years, Jill developed and led the Poynter Institute’s leadership and management programs and continues to teach and coach leaders worldwide.
Need a writing refresh? Try listening to: Grammar Girl
- About: In an industry like ours, it’s ALWAYS a good idea to work on your writing skills. This podcast provides quick and easy tips to help improve your writing, alongside business tips that will make you a better and more successful writer.
Looking to up your social media game? Try listening to: Social Pros
- About: Hosted by Jay Baer and Adam Brown of Salesforce, Social Pros is a must-listen podcast for both marketers and social media professionals. With the mantra of “real people doing the real work for real companies,” this podcast features in-depth interviews with social media practitioners who are in the virtual trenches, each and every day.
Need some fun tidbits for client small talk? Try listening to: Channel 33
- About: Let’s face it – sometimes it’s nice to have a few fun talking points in your back pocket for the beginning of client calls. Since pop culture and the media landscape both provide a plethora of relevant and interesting tidbits, it’s worth giving Channel 33 a listen. A podcast network with a variety of shows – from the Jam Session celebrity and pop culture podcast to The Big Picture, which provides smart takes on movies – Channel 33 will help keep you well educated on timely happenings.
Do you have a favorite podcast that you think should be added to this list? Share your insights in the comments section below!
Keep in Touch
Want fresh perspective on communications trends & strategy? Sign up for the SHIFT/ahead newsletter.