2018 is here, and we’re digging into what look to be some of the biggest trends that will affect PR practitioners this year. In this installment, we’ll look at 2 major trends in social media:
- Influencer Marketing Train Keeps Picking Up Speed
- Influencer marketing shows no sign of diminishment despite questionable ROI. Influencer marketing methods and measurement will improve radically as new, advanced measurement methodologies such as neural network-powered attribution become more available. These tools will help PR practitioners more quickly separate the wheat from the chaff.
- Solution: Learn to measure influencers appropriately, then choose better ones – and be sure to vet the daylights out of them.
- Branded Organic Social Media Becomes Meaningless
- Continuing the ongoing trend, brands’ reach on major social networks will decline further until brands will be posting to no one. Services like Facebook are already pay-to-play for the majority of brands, and these networks show no inclination to help brands who don’t pay.
- Solution: Save your time, energy, and money if you’re just going to post dreck. Do the math and focus where you have ROI.
Thanks for watching our series. We’d love to know what other trends you’re paying attention to in the world of marketing and communications.
Christopher S. Penn
Vice President, Marketing Technology
Keep in Touch
Want fresh perspective on communications trends & strategy? Sign up for the SHIFT/ahead newsletter.