Earlier this week we created and shared a quiz to help you test your knowledge of all things social media. If you haven’t taken the quiz, go do it! We’ll wait…
Well, how’d you do? Let’s jump into the answers.
1. Which of the following is not a reaction you can give to a Facebook post?
At the time of publishing, ‘embarrassed’ is not a reaction available on Facebook. In early 2016, Facebook rolled out “Reactions” to all users. Reactions give you the opportunity to share an emotional reaction to content on Facebook, other than ‘Like.’
2. Facebook was originally targeted at which demographic of users?
When Facebook was a wee lass, she was only available to college students. Read up on the history of Facebook here.
3. What is the largest global social network (by total active users)?
At the time of publishing, Facebook is the largest social network in the world, with close to 2 BILLION monthly active users.
4. Which social network does not provide users with selfie filters?
Twitter does not provide users with selfie filters…yet. In the past year, we’ve seen Facebook and Instagram both release their version of the feature taken mainstream by Snapchat.
5. True or False: When Snapchat was created, the app was called ‘Picaboo.’
This one’s true! Originally launched in July 2011, Snapchat started its life as an app called Picaboo. Just a few short months later, it was dubbed Snapchat – and the rest is selfie-filled history!
6. Which social network does not allow you to post photos via a desktop computer?
Despite its acquisition by Facebook, Instagram has stuck true to its mobile-first roots and does not allow users to post photos or videos via a desktop computer, as the time of publishing this post. Users can view their feed and profile pages, but cannot post new content.
7. What is the proper pronunciation of GIF, according to the file type creator Steve Wilhite?
8. True or False: Twitter invented the #hashtag, which can now be found across several social media platforms.
Using the ‘#’ symbol to denote topics goes back to the late 1980’s (long before Twitter’s creation). It was used within IRC networks to label groups and topics.
9. Which of the below is not a social network?
Weibo is the microblogging site of choice for most people in China. Vkontakte is a social network especially popular in Russia. Renren is another Chinese network, similar to Facebook. Ektorp is not a social network. In fact, it’s a piece of Ikea furniture.
10. Which social network does not offer analytics?
Trick question! Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and LinkedIn all provide analytics to users and businesses.
11. True or False: After the 24-hour posting period, you can no longer view stats from your Instagram Stories.
Yes, you CAN view stats from your Instagram Stories after the 24-hour posting window. Here’s how.
12. Which of the following count toward Twitter’s 140-character limit?
#Hashtags count toward Twitter’s 140-character limit. Photos, videos and other media no longer count. Happy tweeting!
13. What is the technology that powers Snapchat’s selfie filters?
Snapchat has been using augmented reality to spruce up your selfies for quite a while now! The latest update featured ‘world lenses,’ giving users a cloud, a rainbow, flowers, and more to add to their photos and videos.
14. Who holds the title of most retweeted tweet ever?
Ellen DeGeneres held the top spot after her star-studded selfie from the 2016 Academy Awards, but was recently topped by a *gasp* non-celebrity, 16-year-old from Nevada – Carter Wilkerson (@carterjwm). The teen tweeted at Wendy’s, asking “How many retweets for a year of free nuggs?” Carter’s tweet soon went viral and the teen officially overtook Ellen’s Oscar tweet. Track his status here!
Well? How’d you do? Share your results with us in the comments or find us at @SHIFTcomm!
Senior Marketing Analyst