Back in September, we attended the FutureM and INBOUND Conferences in Boston. As you might expect at an event called “Future of Marketing,” we spent a lot of time talking about, well, the future of marketing.
We had a chance to interview some of the top thinkers driving innovation and transformation in the marketing world, and get their perspective on the Big Question: What IS the future of marketing?
Who is Sara Castellanos?
- Currently a Technology reporter for the Boston Business Journal covering startups, venture capital and the tech sector. Her previous beats include everything from politics and health to science, business and crime
- An award-winning journalist who has been honored for her coverage of the Aurora theater shooting, immigration stories, health features and city government
- You can find her on Twitter @BosBizSara.
In her discussion with SHIFT VP of Marketing Technology, Christopher Penn, Sara offers these takeaways about the future of marketing:
- The future of the industry is technology. In today’s data-driven world, marketers must not only understand how to tailor their messages to audiences via different channels, but be adept at measuring the effectiveness of these messages as well.
- Newer trends like predictive analytics and big data are emerging and increasingly replacing traditional marketing tactics such as cold-calling and print advertising.
- Further disruption in mobile technology and across industries like robotics will continue to present both challenges and opportunities for marketers.
- There will likely be a greater awareness around privacy and security issues given growing consumer concerns and the rapid advancement of technology.